Vocational Education and Training Qualification through
Scouts Australia Institute of Training
Why should a Scout progress a VET qualification through SAIT?
As an education framework, a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification can play a vital role in providing a youth member greater opportunities through developing essential life skills, increasing their employability or ‘selectability’ for tertiary education and fostering creativity and innovation.
What is Vocational Education and Training (VET)?
Vocational Education and Training (VET) is a formal Australian education pathway for practical knowledge and technical skills. VET qualifications range from Certificate I – IV through to Advanced Diplomas and may help you qualify for jobs, can appear on your Year 12 certificate or be a pathway and even credits towards higher education.
For further information on VET, go to https://www.studyaustralia.gov.au/en/plan-your-studies/vocational-education-and-training.html
How can Scouts Australia award a Vocational Education and Training qualification?
The Scouts Australia Institute of Training (SAIT) enables members of Scouts Australia to seek Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) of the knowledge and skills they have gained through Scouting to attain nationally recognised VET qualifications. These services are provided essentially free to members – something which would normally cost thousands of dollars through commercial or educational providers.
Following achievement of specific award requirements, SAIT can provide the following qualifications for its youth members. Additional information and the detailed requirements for each are provided in the Information for Candidates downloads at https://scouts.com.au/members/sait/.
Youth members aged 14-26 can achieve the following VET qualifications through SAIT:
- Certificate II in Active Volunteering
- Certificate II in Creative Industries
- Certificate II in Outdoor Recreation
- Certificate II in Workplace Skills
- Certificate III in Active Volunteering
- Certificate III in Community Dance, Theatre and Events
- Certificate III in Outdoor Leadership
- Certificate III in Business
Adult members of Scouting can achieve VET qualifications in related fields up to the Advanced Diploma level. For further information, download the Vet Qualification Flier or visit the SAIT website https://scouts.com.au/members/sait/.
How do I apply?
- Read the SAIT Candidate Information Guide
- Read the SAIT Complaints Handling Policy
- Contact the ACT VET Commissioner - email@example.com with the following information:The VET Commissioner will then be able to enrol you in the SAIT RPL program.
- Your Unique Student Number (USI) which can be obtained online at https://www.usi.gov.au/
- What date are you hoping to finish year 12 by.
- When you need to provide any Scout certifications to the school by to be included in your year 12.
- SAIT Enrolment Form
- Privacy Consent Form
- Portfolio of evidence (any relevant documentation, concentrating on the last few years, this can be reviewed and updated later with your assessor)
- The VET Commissioner will then b able to enrol you in the SAIT RPL program.
- Once you are enrolled on Scouting VET System (Axcelerate) an Assessor will contact you within 2-4 weeks and arrange a time to catch up with you, review your portfolio, and conduct the RPL process.
What else can you do?
- Enrol in the Adventurous Activities courses run by Scouts and ask the instructor about how the learning outcome can contribute to a SAIT Qualification.
- Organise an information session (or ask your leader) for your unit by contacting the VET Commissioner firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to the SAIT website https://scouts.com.au/members/sait/ for further information.